What is Equine Assisted Psycotherapy and Equine Assisted Learning?
Equine Assisted Psychotherapy (EAP) incorporates horses experientially for mental and behavioral health therapy and personal development. It is a collaborative effort between a licensed therapist and a horse professional working with the clients and horses to address treatment goals. Because of its intensity and effectiveness, it is considered a short-term, or “brief” approach.
EAP is experiential in nature. This means that participants learn about themselves and others by participating in activities with the horses, and then processing (or discussing) feelings, behaviors, and patterns. This approach has been compared to the ropes courses used by therapists, treatment facilities, and human development courses around the world. But EAP has the added advantage of utilizing horses, dynamic and powerful living beings.
Not all programs or individuals who use horses practice Equine Assisted Psychotherapy. For one, licensed (in the U.S.) and properly qualified (outside the U.S.) mental health professionals need to be involved. The focus of EAP is not riding or horsemanship. The focus of EAP involves setting up ground activities involving the horses which will require the client or group to apply certain skills.
Non-verbal communication, assertiveness, creative thinking and problem-solving, leadership, work, taking responsibility, teamwork and relationships, confidence, and attitude are several examples of the tools utilized and developed by EAP.
EAP is a powerful and effective therapeutic approach that has an incredible impact on individuals, youth, famlies, and groups. EAP addresses a variety of mental health and human development needs including behavioral issues, attention deficit disorder, PTSD, substance abuse, eating disorders, depression, anxiety, relationship problems and communication needs.
The potential applications for both EAP and EAL are limitless! For more information on the possibilities, contact us at Footprints In Recovery.
Drug & Alcohol Addiction Treatment Programs at the Beach
Footprints in Recovery offers a home like environment at it’s coastal North Carolina alcohol and drug rehabilitation facility. We offer 2 week, 30, 60 and 90 day drug and alcohol inpatient stay programs. Footprints in Recovery is an affordable, private pay facility accepting only 8 clients into our rehab programs at any given time. We successfully provide an intimate, personalized experience for you or your loved ones. We provide an environment where they can begin to recover. Addiction is a family disease because it affects everyone including friends and extended family, but it is treatable.
Our addiction rehabilitation programs regularly make use of the Outer Banks beaches in our exercise program that includes biking, swimming, beach combing, kayaking, and fishing. The North Carolina coast is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and the perfect place to realign your soul and succeed with addiction recovery.
Addiction Recovery Programs in North Carolina
- Footprints in Recovery is an Inpatient Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Program
- 2 weeks, 30, 60, 90 Day Packages
- Daily Group Therapy with Master’s Level Counselor on topics such as: Psycho-education on Substance Abuse, Domestic Violence in collaboration with Hotline of The Outer Banks, Abuse, Trauma, Irrational Thinking, Triggers, Relationships, Spirituality, Stress and Anger Management, Coping and Life Skills, Family Dynamics, Core Emotions, Art / Music / Equestrian Assisted Therapy
- Weekly Individual Therapy
- Individual guidance through 12 Step Groups
- Weekly Family Program
- Housing Included
- Nutritional Meals provided
- Transportation to Daily NA or AA meetings
- Fitness Membership included with indoor and outdoor pools, sauna and hot tub
- Special Interest Groups Available
Addiction Treatment Aimed at Rebuilding Life Foundations
At Footprints in Recovery, we believe in an approach that involves rebuilding the foundations of your life. You will receive individual attention as you travel through the 12 Steps of Recovery. With the assistance and guidance of our counselors and caring staff, you and your loved ones will learn how to help each other in the recovery process. Our private counselor will work with the families in education about the disease of addiction, codependency, family dynamics and the healing process. Our weekly family program helps everyone grow and recover.
Life Skills & Addiction Rehabilitation
Our addiction recovery program features a unique Outer Banks beach experience through a well designed life skills and exercise program
- Exercise program
- Swimming Pool
- Attendance of a non-denominational church on Sunday
30 Day Addiction Recovery Programs
The 30 Day addiction treatment program includes but is not limited to:
- psychological assessment
- random drug testing
- psycho-education about addiction
- relapse prevention
- social skills
- 12 step meetings
- individual counseling
- group counseling
- Saturday individual family session
- A client is usually still in a withdrawal state for at least a week, preventing them from working on developing healthy habits for the full 30 days which is required to develop a successful path to recovery
60 Day Addiction Recovery Programs
The 60 day addiction treatment program allows the client more time for life application of the recovery tools learned within the first 30 days.
- Dual Diagnosis counseling- Individual sessions
- Assist in the transition – employment, housing, social service, education
- Life Skills
- Coping Skills
- Boundaries in relationships
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Vocational Rehabilitation
90 Day Addiction Recovery Programs
The 90 day addiction treatment program allows the client to continue to work the program and provide our recovery clients with therapeutic support while they transition to everyday life and experience the stressors of new employment, people, and places.
- Intensive individual and trauma therapy available
- NA or AA Sponsor outings
- Can start part time work while in treatment program